Karlsson flying to Calgary, instead of Riga
Although two weeks ago Dinamo Riga official homepage announced that there is a mutual agreement between the club and 1.98m tall Swedish goalie Henrik Karlsson, after his rights were traded to Calgary Flames during the draft yesterday, he has already announced that he will push himself to the limits, in order to make the team.
“I am really excited that I am going to be a Calgary Flame,” said Karlsson for Flames homepage. “I had heard some rumours about being traded a week ago but I didn’t think too much about it.”
Karlsson is expected to be the back-up goalie for the 33-year-old Miika Kiprusoff, as Vesa Toskala’s four million contract has come to an end. According to Flames homepage, Henrik didn’t seem too worried that Kiprusoff is able of playing 70 up to 75 games a season.
Chronology of Henrik Karlsson and his relation to Dinamo Riga:
- June 14 – Dinamo Riga announces that there is a mutual agreement and Karlsson will play in Riga.
- June 14 – The same day Karlsson’s agent Joakim Perssondenies the information released by Dinamo.
- June 22 – There are reports that Persson is working his sleeves out, in order to negotiate with the Sharks.
- June 26 – During the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Karlsson’s rights are acquired by the Flames.
- June 27 – Karlsson announces that he is going for his dream, the NHL.